Volunteers compacting a berm on the Flow Trail at SDSF.
This past Sunday over thirty volunteers showed up for a volunteer Dig Day on the Flow Trail at Soquel Demonstration State Forest (SDSF). These volunteers worked on improving drainage and patching berms. Segments 2-6 are now running better than ever!
A big thanks to event sponsor Mick’s Automotive, our favorite full service Japanese auto repair shop, for keeping our hard working volunteers well fed and happy during the event. Mick’s has been a long time supporter of MBoSC and we are grateful for their continued support. Also thanks to our hospitality sponsors for helping us keep our volunteers fed and happy. Verve Coffee Roasters, the Summit Store, and the Adventure Sports Journal help MBoSC put our best foot forward at our volunteer events!
Next Dig Day
We have four more Dig Day’s coming up this season. The next event will be the Silicon Valley Mountain Bikers Dig Day on the Flow Trail at SDSF on April 2 . We will continue working our way up the Flow Trail, working on Segment 1. Sign Up Here
More Dig Days Continue reading
MBoSC has had a jam packed trail work season so far, and we are still at it! We have been keeping busy performing trail maintenance at Soquel Demonstration State Forest (SDSF), and on the Emma McCrary Trail in Pogonip, and also with new trail construction at Wilder Ranch State Park. We have hosted eight volunteer Dig Days to date. 315 unique volunteers have contributed over 3100 hours of their time so far this season. Strong Work! Thanks to all of the volunteers and to our sponsors who have made these events a resounding success.
The next event will be sponsored by longtime MBoSC supporter and our go-to shop for import car repair, Mick’s Automotive, on Sunday March 20th at SDSF. Sign up here.
April 16th – Dig Day at SDSF switched to April 9th
New Dates Added:
April 2nd – Silicon Valley Mountain Bikers Dig Day at SDSF
April 23rd – Another Bike Shop Dig Day at UConn in Pogonip
May 7th – Dig Day at the Enchanted Loop at Wilder Ranch State Park
See the complete schedule here.
Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz (MBoSC) and New Bohemia Brewing Company are excited to announce a new partnership. MBoSC is a non-profit mountain bike advocacy organization, that is working to improve trail access and promote the sport of mountain biking in our community. MBoSC has a busy schedule of community events, ranging from volunteer trailwork days to a cross country mountain bike race benefitting a local state park. New Bohemia is excited to support MBoSC in it’s efforts to foster stewardship and growth within the cycling community.
New Bohemia Brewing Company will be helping MBoSC with the following initiatives:
- Provide Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz with discounted craft microbrews at volunteer trail-work days at Wilder Ranch, Pogonip, and other locations. See the schedule of events here.
- Donating and serving beer at the Santa Cruz Old Cabin Classic, a cross- country mountain bike race at Wilder Ranch State Park. This event, the first mountain bike race at Wilder Ranch in over twenty years, will be a benefit for trail development within the park.
- Brewing a mountain bike themed beer to be released at Pints for Purpose to benefit MBoSC. This event will be held May 18th from 4pm – 9pm at New Bohemia at 1030 41st Ave. A portion of proceeds from this event will benefit MBoSC.
- Providing discounted beer for MBoSC General Meetings. These events are great opportunities to learn about what is new in the mountain biking world and to meet other folks interested in helping out. Check out the general meeting schedule here.
- Providing beer for a membership and volunteer appreciation events. Date and details TBA.
- Card carrying MBoSC members will receive 10% off purchases at New Bohemia Brewing Company.
Both parties are excited about the opportunity to work together to enrich our community. Please join us at one of these events to sample fine craft beer and learn more about these important community mountain biking events.
MBoSC recently signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the City of Westside Pumptrack. MBoSC will be working in close collaboration with Another Bike Shop to get the track re-opened ASAP. We are happy to be working with both of these entities who have both invested so much in the mountain bike community. We will need volunteer help to tune up this heavily used facility. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in assisting!
Come join MBoSC and our compatriots from the other side of the hill, Silicon Valley Mountain Bikers on Saturday, March 5th at Soquel Demonstration State Forest for a volunteer Dig Day. Segments 3-6 of the Flow Trail are looking pretty spiffy after all of the maintenance this season so we will be continuing to work our way up the hill working on segments 1 and 2.
The workday will run from 8:45 to 3:30. All skill levels of trailworkers are welcome! Volunteers are provided with Verve Coffee, pastries, lunch from the Summit Store, post workday refreshments, and entry into our Adventure Sports Journal sponsored volunteer raffle. A huge thank you to land manager CAL FIRE for their ongoing support and assistance with MBoSC trail maintenance efforts at SDSF. Find more info and sign up here.
Can’t make it out on the 5th? We will be working on the Emma McCrary trail on Friday 2/26 and at SDSF on Friday March 4th. Email email@example.com for more info or join our trail work mailing list. Sign up here.