President: Mark Davidson
Vice President: Daryl Breuninger
Treasurer: Eve Davidson
Secretary/Marketing: Michele Lamelin
Sponsor/Social Coordinator: Megan Zemny
Event Coordinator: Steve Gemelos
Trail Work Officer: Drew Perkins
Membership Coordinator: Dave Robinson
Board of Directors
The MBoSC Board consists of 5 officers (President, Vice President, Past President, Treasurer and Secretary) and 4-6 directors at large. The officer’s duties will be outlined in subsequent sections but the responsibilities of all board members follows.
The President shall have the right to call meetings and shall preside over meetings of the Board and general membership. He/she shall administer the management of affairs of the corporation; establish committees and define the duties and powers of such committees and have such other powers and duties as may be required, subject to the approval of the Board. He/she shall be ex-officio member, with vote, of all committees except the nominating committee.
- Preside over the monthly general and board meetings, which involves reserving the meeting locations, building agendas, and chairing the meetings.
- Recruit meeting greeters for the general meetings.
- Establish committees to investigate/resolve specific topics arising at board meetings or other sources.
- Handle club correspondences (sending letters with donations, reviewing correspondences received, integrating topics received into meeting agendas).
- Review, revise and respond to tasks found in the president’s timeline. The goal is to support board members and volunteers in completing their tasks.
- Possess computer skills helpful in communicating with board members and for preparing correspondences.
- Represent MBoSC before community, city and county organizations and entities on issues related to club events and mountain biking.
- Maintain communication with local organizations financially supported by MBoSC.
- Maintain communication and a cooperative relationship and coordinate club activities with local bicycling organizations such as MORCA, SVMTB, IMBA, People Power, etc…
- Basic computer skills like Google Docs, DropBox, email list management, email.
- Organizational skills like identifying tasks, setting agendas and running meetings
- Management skills like recruiting volunteers, providing guidance and mentorship, follow up and accountability
- Communication skills like email, writing, phone.
The Vice-President in the absence of the President, shall perform all duties and have all powers of the President. He/she shall have such other duties as may be assigned by the President or Board.
- Responsible to locate, schedule, promote and support individuals to put on the programs at our monthly general meeting.
- Takes care of the club projector and laptop computer used for our monthly programs.
- Computer skills helpful for using equipment needed in monthly presentation.
(Immediate) Past President
The Immediate Past President shall serve as advisor and have such other duties as may be assigned by the President or Board. The Immediate Past President shall serve as chair of the nominating committee and may choose at least two other club members to serve on the committee. In the absence of the Immediate Past President and with the concurrence of the current President, any former President may perform all duties and have all powers of the Immediate Past President.
- Chair the annual nominating committee to locate candidates for club offices for the following year.
- Prepare and distribute the ballot for elections of new officers and amendments to the club’s official documents.
The Treasurer shall furnish, or cause to be furnished, a complete set of books of the accounts, which shall include preparing and maintaining a set of standard ledgers, depositing funds and rendering statements, and opening such books of accounts to inspection by any Director or member. He/she shall be chair of the Finance/Budget Committee and present a budget for the next fiscal year for the approval of the Board. He/she shall provide and prepare for a year-end review, if requested by the Board and shall make an annual report to the membership.
- Prepare checks to pay bills, disburse donations and reimburse members for incurred expenses.
- Deposit monies received.
- Reconcile monthly bank statements and resolve any issues.
- Maintain a complete set of financial records.
- Schedule and chair the annual budget committee in October which results in the club’s financial and contributions budgets for the following year.
- Submit returns and pay sales taxes as required by the State of California.
- Provide all necessary information to the club’s accountants for their preparation of the club’s annual tax returns.
- Renew our membership in IMBA when it becomes due.
The treasurer must possess computer and financial skills necessary to maintain the electronic financial records. Experience with QuickBooks or a similar accounting package is an asset.
The Secretary shall serve all notices required by law or by these bylaws. The Secretary handles all correspondence of the corporation under the direction of the President of the Board of Directors. The Secretary shall keep a record of the proceedings of all meetings of the Board and the general membership. These shall be provided to the webmaster for publishing in a timely manner. He/she shall have such other duties as may be assigned by the President or Board.
- Prepare minutes from our monthly general meetings, and provide them to the newsletter editors for publication.
- Prepare minutes for our board meetings which are distributed to the board members.
- Prepare and publish changes to club policies as they arise during the year. All these are then collected so that the club policies can be updated each year.
Computer skills helpful in communicating with board members and for preparing correspondences.
Director at Large
The Director at Large shall represent the general membership and have such other duties as may be assigned by the President or Board.
See the Director Responsibilities and Expectations for more details.
- Executive management
- Financial management
- Marketing and communications
- Legal/human resources
- CEQA/NEPA/Civil Engineering/Municipal Planning
- Advocacy and Political
- Prior board (commercial or non-profit) experience
Marketing & Communications Director
MBoSC has a number of means of engaging our constituency: website/blog, facebook, twitter, instagram. The Communications Coordinator is responsible for ensuring that MBoSC electronic presence reflects the current activities, messages and plans for the organization.
- Moderates the MBoSC public email list
- Moderates, monitors and posts to the facebook page, twitter feed and Instagram account
- Ensures that the WordPress based website is current
- Work with the ISP to ensure that the website is patched and secure.
Engages current members about MBoSC plans, events and accomplishments. Works with other committees to increases membership through information stations, events and product raffle. Attempts to convert consistent members and larger tiered memberships to become donors. Organize member social events.
- Work with the IMBA CRM database to identify and reach out to MBoSC members
- Informs the general membership about MBoSC plans and accomplishments
- Staffing a booth at events or at trailheads to get non-members to become members and get current/expired members to renew.
- Organize non-riding related social events like pub night so that members can get to know each other.
- Organize promotions and raffles to incentivize people to sign up or renew memberships
Trails & Parks Director
The Trails & Parks Director works with civic leaders and land managers for access and construction of trails, bike parks and features.
- Propagate best practices for design and construction of trails, bike parks and features
- Conducting and attending training sessions to develop expertise.
- Development of a schedule and budget for construction projects.
- Procurement and maintenance of capital equipment.
- Prioritization of resources for construction projects.
Stay tuned for more info on the MBoSC board to be posted soon!