The multi-use trail proposed by Parks and Recreation will go before the City Council this coming Tuesday July 27th at 3 pm. The proposal is item 19 on the agenda (11 MB). The proposal is from pages 210 – 220. I’m not sure what time it will be addressed but you may be able to come late and not miss the item.
The objective is to push out the negative use of the area and displace it with positive use. If this passes then this means a fun new 1.5 mile single track trail that connects Golf Club Drive to the U-Con trail could be one step closer to reality. For those of you downtown and in the east side and Seabright area this is a fun alternative to the railway tracks to U-Con.
This is a very big deal and we would love your support on this issue!
You can write to all of the City Council by sending email here: email@example.com. Messages to that address become part of the public record so please conduct your correspondence with civility in mind.
You should try to include some personal story about your experience in Santa Cruz and how this trail will make it beter. Some of the points that you can include in your testimony, call or letter should include:
- Re-iterate your support of the multi-use trail project. Your support of this proposal is the most important thing they want to hear.
- Support the mountain biking community to design, build, raise funds (for environmental studies and signage) and maintain the trail. The cash strapped City would like the mountain biking community to take an active role in the stewardship of this trail. MBOSC will take the lead in organizing the trail work and maintenance but we want your support.
- Provides an alternate route to the U-Con trail/UCSC from the City when combined with the San Lorenzo bike bridge and the tunnel under Hwy 1.
- Provides a safe (but off road) eastern bike route into UCSC for commuters.
- Provides additional recreational facilities for families and residents.
- This proposal will eliminate the criminal activity from that area of the park. This was true when we put the U-Con trail in back in 1999. Think of I-5 Colonnade in Seattle or Highbridge Park in NYC. If you have any experience with other areas then please bring them up.
If you are going to attend the City Council we ask that you conduct yourselves professionally and respectfully.
- Dress appropriately. Pants and shirts with buttons recommended.
- No talking over or laughing at opponents
- Take the higher ground
Our opponents are going to fight this every step of the way. They are organizing right now. Our opponents feel the people do not belong in open space and successfully excluded mountain bikes and equestrians from Pogonip back in 1998. These policies have created a safe haven for drug trafficking and transients. We can change this and we represent the new generation of Santa Cruz residents who believe in sustainable economic development and recreation. We want real solutions to our problems not just talk and block.
Please remember: we have a lot of allies but this is no guarantee of success. This proposal is endorsed by the Santa Cruz Police Department, the Fire Department, Take Back Santa Cruz IMBA, the equestrian community (SCCHA), the local bike industry and local bike shops. We would love to have your support as well.
Is the future of our city heroin tourism or mountain bike tourism? We can make that choice by what we do and how we act over the next few months.